Monday, December 11, 2006

Deliverance

I have emerged. ‘Ragnarok’, Book Three of The Runestone Saga, has been Fedexed off to Knopf, my publishers, in New York. It required me to check into a hotel for three nights so I could bury my head in words. (Strange, staying in a hotel in the city you live in. I highly recommend it!). And there was a fair bit of rewriting, as I tried to sort out not just the end of a novel but the end of a trilogy. ‘Tis a long road my protagonist, Sky, has gone through. From naïve schoolboy to Norse God. (No, you’ll just have to wait and see.)

Mixed feelings too – euphoria followed by depression. Its always a hard moment, letting someone else into the world that's mine alone. Of course, the people who read it now I totally trust – my wife, agent and editor. All smart people, always with good advice. But… I think it’s one reason people don’t finish things. You submit, to other people’s opinions, your fragile creation. A necessary ending and beginning, but…

Couple of other things of note. My latest adult fiction, ‘Absolute Honour’ got a very nice review in Canada’s National Post – just in time for Christmas if anyone’s short a stocking stuffer! And I gave a talk at a school last week. Getting there was hard though – major snow all over Vancouver and poor directions. I was lost, and wandering and I asked three City workmen who were clearing snow if they knew where the school was. ‘Sure, we were there yesterday. Hop in!’ So I arrived at my talk in a snow truck! Ah, the glamorous life of the author!

The students were great. Grade 8, seemed to like the book, and asked very good questions. I think its hard to get anyone to admit they were scared by it, but a couple did, kinda. But if there’s anyone out there reading this who had to put it outside the room to sleep, I’d be very happy to hear.

Oh – I’ve been nominated for a Cybill - it’s an online Teen Lit Blog. Not sure what it all means but it’s a delight that some people are enjoying the book. And I’d be even happier to win. ‘Members of the Academy…’

I shall try to blog more, now the book’s gone off. In the week or so respite I have before I start my next one, that is!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Are you kidding, that book freaked me out !!

Norse god sounds fun! Can't wait to see how the trilogy resolves.


Grade eights, eh? That's good to know because that is the grade I usually sell it to!; most often to grade eight boys who don't like to read because "Fetch" is creepy and there are lots of cool vikings and weapons. And when I add "like" and "Dude!" into the stream of my vocab when telling them about it,they eventually (quite saucer-eyed ) give in to my pitch!



Of course JA got a good review! It is the gift that keeps on giving all year round ( especially when Ate shows up ).

Now that third Fetch book is sent off, I think Jack should reappear.....( very very soon, please )

Congrats on the Cybill. Those nominations mean more because they are submitted by everyday readers rather than literary press snobs.
Enjoy the snow !

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so pleased to see your comment at
Book Moot
on the post about my daughter's reaction to The Fetch. My entling and I reside in Texas.

I noticed yesterday that she is now re-re-reading The Fetch which is a sure sign that the book has made it onto her "favorites" list. She is SO pleased to read that the sequels are coming. It cannot be too soon for her.

In fact, she is so anxious for ME to read the book that she started reading it aloud to me while waiting for her allergy shot on Monday.

I have a bookstack started for the Christmas break (which starts on Saturday) and your book is at the top.

(Also as Richard Sharpe fans your other series sounds fantastic. I am ordering the first one for Treebeard for Christmas.)

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home